I Had This Idea
By Bernadette A. Moyer
I had this idea that if I did the right things, the right thing would happen for me.
- What I learned is that doing the right thing was what I do for myself and it doesn’t guarantee that things will turn out like I thought.
I had this idea that living by the golden rule would guarantee that if I treated others like I want to be treated they would do the same.
- What I learned is that many people want and expect to be treated better than what they treat others, I learned many do things they would never want done to themselves.
I had this idea that I could trust all my “friends” because that was the understood definition of friendship.
- What I learned is that isn’t necessarily true and that trusting myself was what was lasting and most important.
I had this idea that if my husband and I worked really hard and gave our children a stable home they would become stable.
- What I learned is their stability would have to come from within themselves.
I had this idea that if I was open and generous others in my life would also be open and generous.
- What I learned is that being open and generous is what I do for myself, others may choose to be closed off.
I had this idea that most things fall into a black or white, right or wrong kind of area.
- What I learned is that many things fall in that gray area.
I had this idea that some events in my life were good and others bad.
- What I learned was that if I turned it around even the things that appeared “bad” could become good and meaningful.
I had this idea that I had to wait for this or that to happen first before going on to the next thing.
- What I learned is that the here and the now are the best times.
I had this idea that my sense of wellness and peace was connected to something or someone else.
- What I learned was that my wellness and peace were always within me, I just needed to tap into it and be open to it.
I had this idea that if I was loveable everyone would just love me.
- What I learned is that I am loveable whether others choose to love me or not is about them.
I had this idea that my happiness was connected to someone or something else.
- What I learned is that my happiness lives inside of me and is not dependent on anyone or anything else.
I had this idea if I pushed harder, tried harder did everything right that I would always end up in a good place.
- What I learned is that I don’t have to try so hard, sitting back and trusting in the universe brings about all the good naturally.
I had this idea how things should be at 20 and at 30 and at 40 and at 50.
- What I learned is that each decade defines itself in its own way and in its own time.
I had this idea that life is a beautiful thing!
- What I learned is that life truly is a beautiful thing and even the ugly and the sad and the pain of loss and of love add a beautiful dimension. They offer their own beautiful gifts as long as we are open and willing to receive them.
On Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/bernadetteamoyer